Our History

Church - 1598 x 905

The History of Whitesburg United Methodist Church

Whitesburg UMC began in 1887 as the Whitesburg Methodist Episcopal Church South.  The original building was a wooden structure.  The church had a membership of about 200. In addition to Sunday school, there was a Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting, an active Women’s Missionary Society and an active Epworth League and Methodist Youth Fellowship. In June of 1912 the wooden church structure was destroyed by a fire.

The present brick structure was built between 1912 and 1913. The name changed in 1939 to Whitesburg Methodist Church when the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Protestant Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church South united. Sometime in the 1950’s, the fellowship hall/kitchen was added.

In 1968 the Methodist Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church and Whitesburg became the Whitesburg United Methodist Church. The Church suffered a second fire in 1974 in the fellowship hall/kitchen. Church members pulled together to make the needed repairs. Prior to 1992 the church was part of a circuit and held services on the 1st and 3rd Sunday.  In 1992 the services changed to every Sunday. A major addition and renovation project was planned in 2006 and completed in 2007.  The Church was incorporated by the State of Georgia in 2008. Many of the original church attendance records and other documents were destroyed in the fire of 1912. One attendance record from 1927 does exist. To date we know that WUMC has been served by at least 46 Pastors. Whitesburg United Methodist Church continues to serve the Lord and the community of Whitesburg.